Friday, April 6, 2007

QotW10: Life could be better.

Unlike many of my classmates, I was one of the unlucky few who had major problems when using Second Life. All I was able to enjoy was Orientation Island both at school and at home. I sincerely wish I could post up pictures that showed me in different worlds, doing different things and experiencing awkward encounters that Derek did such as “Free orgy” place, visiting Lion City, teleporting to the world of 300 to meet Spartans and talking to people across the globe. However, every problem I faced led to little experience in Second Life.

I must admit, I was somewhat apprehensive upon reading the required assignment for the week. I swore that I would never let myself get caught up in the Virtual worlds and games such as World of War Craft and especially Second Life. However, after having seen Kevin demonstrate what SL was capable of, I decided to give it a try, and told myself, “There might just be a possibility that I get hooked into it just like many others have.” Well, after this experience, I do not think that will ever happen.

Like I mentioned earlier, I wish I was able to post pictures of my avatar in different worlds, and tell my wonderful experiences, but unfortunately, to my dismay, I am not able to. Therefore, I can only describe to you the problems I faced.

Problem 1)
When I first registered for SL a week or two ago, I did it in the comforts of my own room and with much enthusiasm. I chose a name and edited my character just for fun. I walked around, completed each stage and went to bed happy, and knowing I had what was called a “mainland passport.”

Problems started after this short enjoyment. In a recent Com 125 class, when Kevin made his rounds, he noticed I had that passport and told me that I was already free from Orientation Island and able to teleport as I liked! YIPEE! I clicked teleport, and before I knew it, nightmare struck. They immediately logged me out of the system. I was worried, and upon logging back in, my worry turned into dismay. I HAD LOST MY PASSPORT!

Problem 2)
This problem occurred to me both at school and at home. Trying to edit my character’s features was not so easy and fun. Here’s why.

Yes, when zoomed in, I had the mutilated face due to major graphic glitches. Maps began running over my face, grass, the map, the sky, the water, buildings, and all the works! My eyes went from gray, to white, to blue, to every color in the rainbow. I felt I was in my own virtual world of the exorcist! Out of the 5 attempts I made on editing my image, I only succeeded twice, both for short periods of time before this “exorcist” experienced occurred again, thus resulting in my very simple looking character.

Problem 3)
Walking around in Orientation Island (the only place I could “visit”) was not exactly what I had expected. Turning was a chore as making 90 degree turns probably took five seconds to complete.

Problem 4)
Kevin had mentioned earlier that if we were not able to teleport, we could attempt teleporting to help island, and that was what I attempted. Yes, attempted, but successful, maybe not. To be safe, I tried getting my Mainland Passport yet again. Clicked onto Help Island, and was instructed to click via the Map and so I did. The result, negative. Why? Here is a picture of my map.


I had no where to click!

Well, I wish I could have enjoyed SL to its fullest. Making my character look cool, and travel places. If I were able to have done all these, I would sincerely say I would have been addicted. I guess that would have to be left for another day when I decide to give it another try. Sigh.

No comments: